Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Crimp with plated bullets and how to measure it?

Hello folks, me again with another .357 Mag revolver question. I just got my taurus 605 yesterday and have been shooting it today. Once i burned through the box of 50 ultramax 158 lead FPs for the starline brass, i cleaned and reloaded said cases with 7.5gr of HS-6 under Berry's 158gr plated FP with Winchester Magnum pistol primers. Im still pretty green to loading for pistols, and was wondering how much crimp is acceptable for plated bullets? Berry's says to use only a light crimp. I'm getting unburnt powder and dirty brass. I may very likely have not been putting a sufficient crimp on them. When i measured the mouth of the case after seating and crimping the flare out of the case, it measured .376", and it appeared to deform the sides of the bullet. Then measuring beneath the mouth where the bullet would be, it was also .376". Do i need to give 'er more cowbell or bump up the charge? Again im new to pistol reloading. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    A light crimp should be all you need. You don't want to over crimp. Just enough to hold it. I've never used HS-6 so I don't know if it's a dirtier powder. Unique did the same thing in my 45. Try H110. It is a hotter powder but it's worked well for me in 357 and 45.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    A light crimp should be all you need. You don't want to over crimp. Just enough to hold it. I've never used HS-6 so I don't know if it's a dirtier powder. Unique did the same thing in my 45. Try H110. It is a hotter powder but it's worked well for me in 357 and 45.
    Did unique leave little yellow crumbs in the cylinder and brass? It almost looks like brass shavings, but its not brass. Makes me think its the sulfur in the powder not burning. I just tried a little more crimp and got the same result. Ill try one more batch of 5 with a little more crimp than that in a few minutes.

Title
    Administrator
    I crimp like mad on revolver rounds. If they are Xtreme Bullets, you almost can't overcrimp.
    The Yellow is sulfur residue. It never goes away, if you go higher pressure loads, it just blows out the barrel and you don't see it as much
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB92 View Post
    Did unique leave little yellow crumbs in the cylinder and brass? It almost looks like brass shavings, but its not brass. Makes me think its the sulfur in the powder not burning. I just tried a little more crimp and got the same result. Ill try one more batch of 5 with a little more crimp than that in a few minutes.

Title
    Premium Member
    So is the sulfur residue just the nature of the beast, or is there a powder that doesnt do it as bad?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    I crimp like mad on revolver rounds. If they are Xtreme Bullets, you almost can't overcrimp.
    The Yellow is sulfur residue. It never goes away, if you go higher pressure loads, it just blows out the barrel and you don't see it as much

Title
    Premium Member
    No yellow crumbs. It was just nasty black crap. It cleaned off fairly easy but I just didn't like it.

Title
    Administrator
    Powder does not burn completely. It is just the nature of the beast

Title
    Premium Member
    Gotcha wes. I tried a little more crimp and there was less residue left over. Probably from increased pressure, but im happy with it. Thanks for the help guys.

Title
    Administrator
    Anytime buddy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnB92 View Post
    Gotcha wes. I tried a little more crimp and there was less residue left over. Probably from increased pressure, but im happy with it. Thanks for the help guys.

Title
    Premium Member
    Good info. Will definitely follow up when I start loading for my .40 cal.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk